July 22, 2015

Volume 14 of Shinya Shokudo/深夜食堂の第十四巻

Volume 14 of Shinya Shokudo was published on May 5, 2015.

List of episodes of Volume 14 of the manga book, Shinya Shokudo
184 Fava beans
185 Sawara (Spanish mackerel) saikyo-yaki
Saikyo-yaki refers to a food marinated in sweet white miso called saikyo miso first and then grilled or to such a cooking method.
186 Niratama (stir-fried Chinese chive and eggs) set meal
187 American dogs
American dogs are similar to corn dogs in the United States, but made with a wheat flour-based batter (often the same as a pancake batter), with no corn meal.
188 Napoli udon
Napoli is short for Napolitan, and Napoli udon is the udon version of Napolitan spaghetti.
I myself have never heard of or eaten Napoli udon.
189 Nebaneba (slimes)
In this episode, nebaneba is used to refer to a dish containing nagaimo (type of yam), okra, and natto.
Most Japanese love slimy foods!
190 Chicken nanban
Chicken nanban is a specialty of Miyazaki prefecture, and is fried chicken soaked in nanban sauce (sweet, sour, and peppery sauce) and topped with tartar sauce. I have never heard of or eaten this dish.
Images of chicken nanban
191 Short-necked clam and cabbage saka-mushi
Saka-mushi refers to a food cooked in Japanese rice wine or to such a cooking method.
192 Stir-fried pork trimmings and bean sprouts
193 Tamago dofu (egg tofu)
Tamago dofu (not tofu) does not contain soy milk.
194 Moro kyuu and ume kyuu
Moro kyuu is raw cucumbers served with moromi miso, and ume kyuu is raw cucumbers served with umeboshi paste. Kyuu is short for kyuuri (cucumber).
Images of moro-kyuu
195 Tabasco
196 Kani kama (fake crab meat) salad
197 Onigiri (rice balls)

深夜食堂の十四巻目が2015年5月5日に発売されました。
184 そら豆
185 鰆の西京焼き
186 ニラ玉定食
187 アメリカンドッグ
188 ナポリうどん
189 ネバネバ
190 チキン南蛮
191 アサリとキャベツの酒蒸し
192 豚小間もやし炒め
193 たまご豆腐
194 もろきゅうと梅きゅう
195 タバスコ
196 カニかまサラダ
197 おにぎり

13 comments:

okasan said...

Seems like not long ago that I stumbled onto the drama, and now the manga Volume 14 is available. Some of the dishes look interesting. I had been looking for Saikyo miso for a very long time and I finally found some when I was in Los Angeles's Japan town. I really like the taste and texture. Is this miso popular in Japan?

Hiroyuki said...

okasan: Yes, popular, particularly in Kansai (Western Japan). Saiko miso is a specialty of Kato. I, for one, is not a big fan of it because it's sweet.

Sissi said...

Thank you so much, Hiroyuki! I am only now trying to go through the first volume bought in Japan... Kanji is a nightmare, not to mention the very casual speech no one has taught me... but such a fantastic manga as Shinya Shokudo is probably the best motivation to learn it!
Maybe in ten years I'll read the first 13 volumes!
Wow! I have just googled the images and Saikyo miso is the only miso I brought from Japan and didn't like. It's soooo sweet I couldn't believe it was just pure miso... I have put it into the fridge and think of pickling some garlic maybe... I think I like most red "grainy" miso. (I bought one with red koji bits and it is delicious, at first I thought it was with chilli inside, but the shop assistant said it was red koji).

Hiroyuki said...

okasan: Not Kato but Kyoto! What a stupid typo!

Sissi: I hope you find some nice Japanese-language instructor who can teach you all the details, and I do hope you find some good uses of saikyo miso! I've read somewhere that even Kyoto people do not use white sweet miso on a daily basis.

Sissi said...

Thank you, Hiroyuki! I am lucky to have a very good Japanese teacher and I hope she is not fed up explaining to me all the very colloquial vocabulary from Shinya Shokudo which is absent from standard learning materials...
I will look up for recipes with saikyo miso.

okasan said...

Although the Saikyo miso is sweet it goes very well when i marinate it with Sable Fish or Black Cod. It is a very oily fish and the sweetness of the miso goes very well with it.
BTW, I just stumbled upon a Korean Drama that mirrors Shinya Shokudo, Midnight Diner, it is called Late Night Restaurant. The Producer must have sold the rights to the Korean network. It follows the same format but Korean. If you are interested in Korean Food you can check this out at the website. It has English subtitle.
http://www.dramafever.com/drama/3048/1/Late_Night_Restaurant/?ap=1

Hiroyuki said...

okasan: Thanks for the information and the link. It sounds that Shinya Shokudo appeals to anybody!

okasan said...

I just found out that Shinya shokudo season 4 is now on Netflix that started October this year.

okasan said...

I just found out that Shinya shokudo season 4 is now on Netflix that started October this year.

Hiroyuki said...

okasan: Season 4?! Thanks for your comment!

(Well, I must say I have lost interest in this manga because it has lost much of the pathos it used to have...)

okasan said...

There is the saying 'don't overdo a good thing'! The show has been sensationally successful throughout Asia, after awhile ideas are running thin! Nevertheless I still like to see 'what's cooking!' The first episode titled 'soup noodle'たんめん but the main character had it without noodle「麺抜き」. It's so simple to make so that's what I end up making tonight for dinner, but I had it with nama ramen I happened to have on hand. 作りやすくて、おいしかったです。

Amy said...

Hiroyuki, I'm writing here to say that I also found the new season of the TV rendition of Shinya Shokudo on Netflix! Here in the US, it's called "Midnight Diner: Tokyo Stories." I've not watched Shinya Shokudo before, so I watched an episode last night. It's really lovely, and now I want to catch up on the past seasons!

There's another food-based Japanese drama that Netflix has produced - here in the US, it's called "Samurai Gourmet" - I could be very wrong about this, but I think the (romanized) Japanese name of the show is "Nobushi no Gurume." Here's the link to the show on Netflix (let me know if it doesn't work): https://www.netflix.com/title/80132738. I'm enjoying this one, too! I believe the writer of the show is the same as the writer of Kodoku no Gurume, Masayuki Qusumi. The shows actually share a very close premise, although Samurai Gourmet is not featuring particular restaurants in Tokyo or the rest of Japan.

Hiroyuki said...

Amy:

Thank you for the link, which worked for me, and your explanation! Somehow, I didn't know anythinkg about Nobushi no Gurume. I will keep an eye on it and talk about it if it's interesting enough!