July 5, 2013

Tofu Shumai/豆腐のシューマイ

As part of supper last night, my wife made this:
昨日の夕飯には、妻がこれを作りました:
She said they were tofu shumai, which she had learned from the TV show, Miracle Recipe. Unlike common recipes, this particular one calls for tofu (momen tofu), but what differentiates it from others is that it says to cut shuman skin into thin stripes and coat the filling with them.
テレビ番組ミラクルレシピで知った豆腐のシューマイ(シュウマイ、しゅうまい、焼売)だそうです。普通のレシピと異なり、豆腐(木綿豆腐)を使うのですが、他のレシピと最も異なる点は焼売の皮を細切りにして、それを具をつける点です。

I personally don't think this recipe is a miraculous one. It calls for as many as 60 sheets of shumai skin to make four shumai! That translates into 15 sheets per shumai! Isn't that crazy?
My wife used only one bag of shumai skin.
私としてはミラクルなレシピとは思いません。焼売4個作るのに焼売の皮を何と60枚も使います。1個当たり15枚ということです。馬鹿げてませんか?
妻は焼売の皮を一袋使っただけですが。

6 comments:

Sissi said...

It sounds very original... but I wonder why it's called miraculous ;-) Because no dumpling skins are used?

Hiroyuki said...

Sissi: Shumai skins are used, and they are cut into noodle-like stripes.

The concept of the TV show, "Miracle Recipe", is that different homes have different dishes, and just an ordinary dish at a certain home may be miraculous to other homes.

Sissi said...

Oh, I understand! I'm sorry I must have read your post too quickly.

Fräulein Trude said...

To wrap up dumplings into shredded dough sheets is really something special. Lots of work at least.

Hiroyuki said...

Kiki: And, making the shumai higher in calorie and more expensive (60sheets of shumai skin).

I didn't watch the show, so I don't know why that particular family has hit upon that idea.

Here is a page that lists of dishes certified as a "Miracle Recipe" by the TV show, if you are interested:
http://www.tv-asahi.co.jp/miracle-recipe/recipes/official.html
(Japanese only)

Fräulein Trude said...

I don't know the price for the dumpling skins in Japan, but here the price is about 1.95 Euro for 250 g (frozen or fresh) sometimes more, sometimes less - depends on the asia store.
I am quite sure I have seen a similiar recipe somewhere, chinese, called lion heads. Lion heads most of the time are simply meatballs. Maybe they put the shredded skins around to give it an additional lion's mane appearance.
Thanks for the link: the scallops in miso flavored curry sound somehow interesting but they don't look that good and the squid curry, I don't know, I guess I would have to pass (laugh).