June 15, 2013

Sake Kasu Cake/酒粕ケーキ

While searching for good ways to use up the sake kasu that I had in the fridge, I found one that sounded good: super easy rich cheesecake with sake kasu and hot cake mix. Despite the title, the recipes does not call for cheese. It says that when baked, sake kasu tastes like cheese. I didn't think that was true, but I decided to give it a try.
冷蔵庫にある酒粕を使い切るいい方法を探していると、よさそうなのが見つかりました:酒粕とホットケーキミックスで超簡単濃厚チーズケーキ。このレシピにはチーズは入ってません。酒粕は焼くとチーズの味になるそうです。本当とは思いませんでしたが、試してみることにしました。
 
Ingredients for 8 servings:
300 ml milk
100 g sake kasu
100 hot cake mix
60 sugar
2 eggs
3 tbsp salad oil
3 tbsp lemon juice
 
材 料(8人分)
牛乳 300ml
酒粕(板粕) 100g
ホットケーキミックス 100g
砂糖 60g
卵 2個
サラダ油 大さじ3
レモン汁 大さじ3

Directions:
1. Microwave sake kasu to soften. Microwave milk. Dissolve sake kasu in milk.
2. Preheat oven to 180oC. Brush mold with oil or place parchment paper.
3. Combine all ingredients and pour into mold. Or, use a blender or a food processor.
4. Bake in oven for 45-55 min.
作り方:
1. 酒粕を電子レンジで柔らかくする。牛乳も電子レンジで加熱する。酒粕を牛乳に溶かす。
2. オーブンを180oCに予熱する。型に油を塗るか、クッキングシートを敷く。
3. 材料をすべて混ぜて、型に流し込む。またはミキサーかフードプロセッサーを使う。
4. オーブンで45~55分焼く。

I reduced the amount of sugar by half, and I used two frying pans instead of an oven. It turned into a total failure, as you can see below.
私は砂糖の量を半分にし、オーブンの代わりにフライパンを2つ使いました。ご覧の通り、完全な失敗作となりました。

Cake in one pan:
一方のフライパンのケーキ:
 
Cake in the other. I had to use the toaster oven to bake both for some more time.
もう一方のフライパンのケーキ。ともにオーブントースターでもう少し焼きました。
For images of better-looking sake kasu cake, click here.
もっと美味しそうな酒粕ケーキの画像を見たければ、ここをクリックしてください。
 

5 comments:

Fräulein Trude said...

Thanks for showing, you are brave. I read in a german baking forum: It is possible to bake cheesecake in a pan. The pan has to be covered with a very good closing lid and the heat should be turned to low. It has to bake 35+ minutes minimum. Never ever open the lid inbetween.
This came from people doing camping / outdoor cooking.

Hiroyuki said...

Kiki: Thanks for the valuable information. I'll keep that in mind when making baked cheesecake again. But this cake has no cheese in it. I wonder if that applies to sake kasu cake.
By the way, the cake did NOT taste like cheesecake. It tasted like sake kasu cake!

Sissi said...

Hiroyuki, have you ever tried baking a cake in a rice cooker? I have seen Japanese zojirushi I think with special cake function and some people say it's possible to bake a cake (or rather steam it!) in a normal rice cooker too...

Hiroyuki said...

Sissi: No, I haven't. I know of such recipes, but I refrain from using my rice cooker to make cake. The reason? Well, several years ago, I tried to cook chicken in a Zip-loc bag in my rice cooker "sous vide". The coating of the inner pot peeled off where the Zip-loc bag came into contact with the inside of the pot. (I still use the rice cooker.) Because of the incident, I decided not to use my rice cooker for purposes other than cooking rice.

I know I was wrong. I should have used the oven as mentioned in the recipe.

Sissi said...

It sounds like a scary experience! I think that some plastics are not heat proof and this ziplock bag probably wasn't...
I have a European rice-cooker (read: not good quality...) but I wait to go to Japan to buy a better one, but I am also afraid to experiment... Maybe when I finally get the Japanese one this old one can be treated as an experimental cooker ;-)