June 30, 2013

Dry Curry, Again/再びドライカレー

As part of supper tonight, I made "dry curry". As I said previously, the term dry curry, as used in Japan, can mean two different dishes: plain rice plus less watery curry and chahan (fried rice) flavored with curry powder. What I mean by dry curry is the former.
Edited to add:
According to Wikipedia, there is also a pilaf type of dry curry.
今日の夕飯にはドライカレーを作りました。前に言ったようにドライカレーとは異なる二つの料理を指します: ご飯と水気の少ないカレーと、カレー粉で味付けしたチャーハン。私が言うドライカレーは前者です。
追記:
Wikipediaによると、ピラフタイプのドライカレーもあるそうです。
 
The ingredients are:
1 1/2 large onions
4 green peppers
300 g ground pork
100 g eryngii mushroom
3 blocks of store-bought curry roux
Generous amount of raisin
材料は:
玉ねぎ大 1個半
ピーマン 4個
豚ひき肉 300 g
エリンギ 100 g
市販のカレールー 3ブロック
レーズン沢山
I know I should use curry powder instead of curry roux, but I am reluctant to buy curry powder because it's more expensive than curry roux. Besides, there are recipes that call for curry roux.
カレールーではなくカレー粉を使うべきだとは分かっていますが、カレー粉のほうがカレールーより高いので、買う気になりません。それに、カレールーを使ったレシピーもあります。

Edited to add:
I also used 1 small carrot.
I also added 2 tsp instant dashi and some soy sauce.
追記:
にんじん小1本も使いました。
出汁の素を小さじ2杯としょう油を少し入れました。

I bought a pack of nectarines for the first time in this season.
今シーズン初めてネクタリンを1パック買いました。 
As I said previously, I think I like nectarines the best of all fruits because they are sweet AND sour.
前にも言った通り、果物の中でネクタリンが一番好きです。甘くて酸っぱいので。

5 comments:

Fräulein Trude said...

Dry curry looks a little bit like a Jamabalaya which is also made with roux and less water, the spices are different.

Anonymous said...

I tried making curry with curry powder instead of the roux in a box, but it doesn't taste as good or look as smooth as the one from a box, unfortunately. I also like nectarine and cherries, I like the texture of the skin alot!!

Hiroyuki said...

Kiki: Jambalaya reminds me of the Carpenters! Jambalaya is more like paella, right?

I edited the post because I later learned from Wikipidia that there is another type of dry curry: pilaf type and I forgot to mention that I also included carrot, instant dashi, and soy sauce.

Anonymous: I guess store-bought curry roux is superior because it contains just a lot of seasonings. As I said above, I also added instant dashi and soy sauce to make my dry curry tastier.

Skin? I've never thought about it. But come to think of it, it's better better than that of other fruits like apples, pears, and peaches!

Anonymous said...

Hiroyuki & Anonymous: I dream of being able to eat the sweet peaches and musk melons from Japan.. I just love sweet fruits :)

Being from Australia (Melbourne), I see yellow nectarines, white nectarines, and purple plums at the supermarkets all the time, and they are only sometimes very sweet and delicious, but mostly they are just sour and tart, unfortunately.. *sighs*

I don't know if it's because of their longer history of sugar and sweet chocolate, but I think Westerners don't really prize fruits that are sweet. And so, they don't really cultivate them to produce high sugar-levels, or import them from Asia for that matter.

On the other hand, in countries like Taiwan (where I grew up), Japan, and other Asian countries, sweet fruits are highly prized!

If only I could be in Japan or Taiwan right now to get some sweet peaches, musk melons, watermelons, oh and some sweet nashi pears!

Hiroyuki said...

Anonymous: Thanks for your comment.

One thing I want to say about fruit is that I often hear people say that they can do without having fruit. The per-capita fruit consumption in Japan is much lower than in other countries. My family is an exception. We love fruit! The sad thing is that fruit is rather expensive in Japan. My son keeps telling me that he wants to have peaches, but I have to wait until they become lower in price!