January 16, 2011

Gyudon in the Nabe Style/鍋風の牛丼

The other day, I bought some cheap imported beef because I wanted to make gyudon (beef bowl), but today, I changed my mind and made gyudon in the nabe style.

Broth:
1,400 ml water
2 tsp instant dashi
120 ml soy sauce
120 ml mirin
120 ml sake
(Dashi, soy sauce, and mirin ratio = approx. 12:1:1)
1 knob grated ginger

Ingredients:
400 g thinly sliced beef
1 pack kinu (silken) tofu
1 pack enoki
6 leaves Chinese cabbage
1 1/2 onions

先日、牛丼を作ろうと思って、安い輸入の牛肉を買いましたが、今日になって気が変わって、鍋風の牛丼を作りました。

汁:
水 1,400 ml
出汁の素 小さじ2
しょう油 120 ml
みりん 120 ml
酒 120 ml
(出汁:しょう油:みりん=約12:1:1)
すったショウガ 1カケ

材料:
薄切り牛肉 400 g
絹豆腐 1パック
エノキ 1パック
白菜 6枚
玉ねぎ 1 1/2個

I first put sliced onions and thick portions of Chinese cabbage in the donabe, added the broth, and brought to a boil, simmered for a few minutes, and turned off the heat.
まず、スライスした玉ねぎと白菜の厚い部分を土鍋に入れ、汁を入れ、沸騰させ、数分煮てから、火を止めました。

It was only about 5:30 in the evening. I let the donabe stand until my wife and daughter came home.
まだ夕方の5:30頃だったので、妻と娘が帰るまで土鍋をそのままにしておきました。

When they got home, I brought the donabe to a boil again (on the portable burner this time), and added the thin portions of Chinese cabbage, enoki, and tofu.
帰って来てから、(今度は、カセットコンロで)土鍋を再び沸騰させ、白菜の薄い部分とエノキと豆腐を入れました:


I added beef in the shabu-shabu style.
牛肉はしゃぶしゃぶ風に入れました。


My family discussed what was the best nabe of the six we had had recently (tori tsukune nabe, oden, sukiyaki, udon suki, kimuchi nabe, and today's gyudon in the nabe style), and we concluded that tsukune nabe and udon suki were the best.
家族で、最近食べた6種類の鍋(鶏つくね鍋、おでん、すき焼き、うどんすき、キムチ鍋、今日の鍋風の牛丼)の中でどれが一番美味しかったか話し合いました。そして、つくね鍋とうどんすきが一番美味しかったという結論になりました。

2 comments:

Rose said...

Oh this looks wonderful! My husband loves gyudon so he will like this recipe very much. We will have to wait till next week to try this dish though. After we have finished moving to Toyota City Aichi!

Hiroyuki said...

Rose: If your husband likes gyudon, then I would suggest making gyudon (laugh)! I mean, I personally didn't like this particular nabe-style gyudon very much, which was a compromise between my son, who says he prefers sukiyaki to gyudon, and me, who like gyudon but hate sukiyaki. Besides, I thought about my daughter, who is usually a picky eater and doesn't have much vegetables, but is willing to have vegetables in any nabemono.
That's why I came up with this unusual (and maybe stupid) dish.

I hope you have a safe trip to Japan!