February 25, 2010

Ebi Chili (Stir-Fried Shrimp in Chili Sauce)/エビチリ

The other day, I made tori chili (stir-fried chicken in chili sauce), and this evening, I made ebi chili.
The recipe is almost the same as that for tori chili, but you will need to follow additional steps for shrimp before coating them with potato starch:
Shell and devein shrimp, put in a bowl, add some salt and katakuriko (potato starch), rub well to clean the shrimp, rinse with water, and drain.
(I didn't bother to devein the vannamei shrimp; I was in a hurry. Besides, the shrimp looked clean.)
先日は鶏チリを作りましたが、今晩は、エビチリを作りました。
レシピーは鶏チリとほぼ同じですが、エビに片栗粉をまぶす前に、やらなければならないことがあります。
エビの殻をとって、背わたをとり、ボールに入れて、塩と片栗粉を入れて、よくもんで、きれいにする。水で洗ってから水を切る。
(このバナメイエビは背わたをとりませんでした。急いでいたので。それにきれいそうに見えました。)

I thickened the sauce with 1 tbsp katakuriko (potato starch) and 2 tbsp water.
ソースを片栗粉大さじ1と水大さじ2で、とろみをつけました。

3 comments:

Amato said...

You clean the shrimp with salt and katakuriko, why?

Sounds very tasty, I will definitely try the recipe.
My boyfriend will like it, he likes hot/spicy.

I have sambal oelek at home, is this similar to doubanjiang?

Hiroyuki said...

Amato: Simply because the recipe I referred to says so.
I'm not sure but I guess this is a Chinese way of cleaning shrimp. A Japanese would clean them by rubbing with sake and/or salt, I suppose.
Actually, I thought of skipping this step because the shrimp weren't smelly at all, and I was in a hurry, but I followed it after all, because I wanted to post a better photo of my ebi chili here (laugh).

I didn't know what sambal oelek is, and I had to do some googling, and yes, it's similar. It't hot and spicy.

Amato said...

Did exactly the same: Google search on doubanjiang. :-)
Interesting condiment, I will buy some to try.

Thank you!